Assessment in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Essay Assignment papers – NURS – 6660
Week 2: Assessment in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Kathryn Barnard was a nurse first and second an early developmental specialist with a PhD in early ecological development. Dr. Barnard, with her nursing background, was instrumental in developing assessment tools and interventions to promote infant mental health. A center is named after her at the University of Washington, aptly named the Kathryn Barnard Center for Infant Mental Health and Development. Dr. Barnard reminds us that mental health is lifelong. Proper treatment of children from their earliest moments is instrumental to their development. One of her sayings was “infants can’t wait” (Weber, 2015). Assessment in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Essay Assignment papers – NURS – 6660.
All diagnosis, from infancy to adulthood, begins with an examination. While an organic basis for most medical disorders can be determined through the use of diagnostic testing, the field of psychiatry is different in that patients cannot be sent to the lab for blood tests to determine the degree of depression. Similarly, patients cannot be sent to the radiology department for a “scan” to determine how severe their bipolar disorder is. Instead, the field of psychiatry must use psychiatric assessments such as the comprehensive integrated physical exam, diagnostic interviews, and questionnaires to make diagnoses. These tools must be specialized to address the needs of children and adolescents.
Diagnostic assessment of the child and adolescent is a specialized area of expertise. Some of the diagnostic and clinical features will be like your assessment of the adult. However, the PMHNP will be seeing children who have been to the PCP. Many PCPs are comfortable handling ADHD and other straightforward childhood disorders. That means that the PMHNP and those in his or her office will be seeing the more complicated patients. Assessment in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Essay Assignment papers – NURS – 6660
This week, you explore the many different psychiatric assessment tools and begin to explore treatment options. You also begin developing your resume and portfolio.
Note: To access this week’s required library resources, please click on the link to the Course Readings List, found in the Course Materials section of your Syllabus.
Sadock, B. J., Sadock, V. A., & Ruiz, P. (2014). Kaplan & Sadock’s synopsis of psychiatry: Behavioral sciences/clinical psychiatry (11th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer.
- Chapter 2, “Contributions of the Psychosocial Sciences” (pp. 93–130)
- Chapter 6, “Classification in Psychiatry” (pp. 290–299)
- Chapter 31, “Child Psychiatry” (pp. 1107–1152)
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC: Author. Assessment in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Essay Assignment papers – NURS – 6660.
- “Neurodevelopmental Disorders”
- “Intellectual Disabilities”
- “Communication Disorders”
Note: You will access this book from the Walden Library databases.
Resume, Portfolio, and Cover Letter Resources
CoverLetter.us. (2017). Nurse practitioner cover letter sample 1. Retrieved from http://www.coverletter.us/nurse-practitioner-cover-letter/
Dahring, R. (2013). Cover letter caveats. Retrieved from https://web.archive.org/web/20161117160433/http://nurse-practitioners-and-physician-assistants.advanceweb.com:80/Columns/Career-Coach/Cover-Letter-Caveats.aspx
Porche, D. J., & Danna, D. (2015). Cover letter & resume preparation: Every detail is important when applying for a job. Advance Healthcare Network for NPs & PAs. Retrieved from https://web.archive.org/web/20160818183515/http://nurse-practitioners-and-physician-assistants.advanceweb.com:80/Features/Articles/Cover-Letter-Resume-Preparation.aspx
Walden University Career Services Center. (2017). Resumes & CVs: Home. Retrieved from http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/careerservices/resumesandcvs. Assessment in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Essay Assignment papers – NURS – 6660.
Document: Cover Letter, Resume, and Portfolio Assignment Guide (PDF)
Thapar, A., Pine, D. S., Leckman, J. F., Scott, S., Snowling, M. J., & Taylor, E. A. (2015). Rutter’s child and adolescent psychiatry (6th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley Blackwell.
- Chapter 2, “Diagnosis, Diagnostic Formulations, and Classification” (pp. 17–30)
Discussion: Working With Children and Adolescents Versus Adults
Infant, childhood, and adolescent development are a continual interplay between nature (genetic or biologic predisposition) and nurture (environmental experiences). The nature/nurture continuum and debate will always be a part of your career as a PMHNP. Knowing common developmental milestone is important in the role as a child provider. Not only is it essential to the diagnostic process, but it is also important to the interdisciplinary interactions with other mental health professionals. The study of normal developmental processes, however, is only one tool that allows the mental health professional to understand the child being evaluated. There are many different assessment instruments and interviewing techniques that PMHNPs can have in their toolkit when working with children and adolescents. Assessment in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Essay Assignment papers – NURS – 6660.
In this Discussion, you examine the differences in assessing and treating children and adolescents versus adults. You take into consideration your own clinical experiences, as well as your experiences in your clinical rotation, and the information from the readings thus far.
Assessment in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Essay Assignment papers – NURS – 6660 Learning Objectives
- Analyze the importance of developmental assessments
- Analyze assessment instruments used for evaluating children and adolescents
- Analyze treatment options used for children and adolescents
- Analyze roles parents play in assessment and treatment
To Prepare for the Discussion
- Review the Learning Resources concerning psychiatric assessments and assessment tools.
Note: For this Discussion, you are required to complete your initial post before you will be able to view and respond to your colleagues’ postings. Begin by clicking on the “Post to Discussion Question” link and then select “Create Thread” to complete your initial post. Remember, once you click submit, you cannot delete or edit your own posts and cannot post anonymously. Please check your post carefully before clicking Submit! Assessment in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Essay Assignment papers – NURS – 6660
By Day 3
Post your answers to the following:
- Explain why a developmental assessment of children and adolescents is important.
- Describe two assessment instruments and explain why they are used for children and adolescents but not adults.
- Describe two treatment options for children and adolescents that may not be used when treating adults.
- Explain the role parents play in assessment and treatment.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues by offering additional insights or alternative perspectives on their diagnosis or provide alternate next questions and why you selected those. Assessment in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Essay Assignment papers – NURS – 6660
Submission and Grading Information
To access your rubric:
Week 2 Discussion Rubric
Post by Day 3 and Respond by Day 6
To participate in this Discussion:
Week 2 Discussion
Assignment 1: Practicum: Cover Letter, Resume, and Portfolio
For this Assignment, you create a professional cover letter, resume, and portfolio that you can use as you pursue your next professional role.
- Create professional cover letters, resumes, and portfolios
To Prepare for the Assignment:
- Review the Learning Resources concerning developing your professional cover letter, resume, and portfolio.
- Review the Cover Letter, Resume, and Portfolio Assignment Guide
- Refer to the Walden University Career Center website for resources to develop your cover letter and resume. With the assistance of the Walden University Career Center website, you can make your cover letter, resume, and portfolio accessible online to your faculty and potential employers.
- Assessment in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Essay Assignment papers – NURS – 6660
Your professional cover letter, resume, and portfolio are due by Day 7 of Week 10. It is highly recommended that you begin planning and working on this Assignment as soon as it is viable. The following checklists outline all of the items you should include in your cover letter, resume, and portfolio. Assessment in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Essay Assignment papers – NURS – 6660.
Checklist for Cover Letter (S/U grade)
Your cover letter should be:
- Presented and formatted in a professional business manner
- Addressed properly
- Clear and concise and include:
- Content Introduction
- Content Body
- Content Conclusion
- Written in a professional style and include:
- Correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar
- Clear and accurate sentence structure
Checklist for Resume (S/U)
Your Resume should be clear, concise, and well-organized and it should also include your:
- Name, address, business phone number, and e-mail address (top center of resume)
- Profile: 2–3 sentences describing goal and positive attributes/characteristics
- Certifications and licensure
- Professional experience
Checklist for Portfolio (S/U)
Your Portfolio should be clear, concise, and well-organized and it should also include your:
- Personal philosophy statement
- Personal goals (short term and long term)
- Cover letter
- Diplomas for formal education
- Letters of recommendation
- References (list names, affiliation, and contact information)
- Certificates of attendance for continuing education
- Oral presentations and/or poster presentations
By Day 7 of Week 10
Submit your Assignment.
Assignment 2: Board Vitals
This week you will be responding to twenty Board Vitals questions that cover a broad review of your Nurse Practitioner program courses up to this point. Assessment in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Essay Assignment papers – NURS – 6660.
These review questions will provide practice that is critical in your preparation for the national certification exam that’s required to certify you to practice as a nurse practitioner. These customized test questions are designed to help you prepare for your Nurse Practitioner certification exam. It is in your best interest to take your time, do your best, and answer each question to the best of your ability.
You can access Board Vitals through the link sent to you in email or by following the link below:
By Day 7
Complete the Board Vitals questions.
This week, you explored the many different psychiatric assessment tools and began to explore treatment options. You also began developing your resume and portfolio.
Next week, you begin exploring disorders that occur early in the life course by working with your group to develop a Parent Guide. You also examine a case and determine a differential diagnosis and treatment plan that incorporates both psychotherapy and psychopharmacology. Assessment in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Essay Assignment papers – NURS – 6660.
You will be working with other colleagues within a wiki format to create Parent Guides in Weeks 3, 7, and 10. Your instructor will assign your group by Day 1 of Week 2. Assessment in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Essay Assignment papers – NURS – 6660.