Assignment: Dimensions of Applied Behavior Analysis
Photo Credit: DedMityay / Adobe Stock
Baer et al. (1968) suggest that for a science to be considered truly applied behavior analysis it must demonstrate the seven dimensions of being applied, behavioral, analytic, technological, conceptually systematic, effective, and display generality. These dimensions define the parameters of a scientifically based intervention. When designing the intervention, it should be consistent with research-based principles of applied behavior analysis. The behaviors receiving the intervention should be socially important to the individual and individual’s family and conducted in real-world settings Assignment: Dimensions of Applied Behavior Analysis.
The techniques of an intervention should be explicitly identified and described in enough detail that others could replicate it. It should include an evaluative component defining what data you will collect and analyze in order to evaluate whether an intervention is working and whether the desired behavioral change is generalizable across different environments and time. In effect, the data must demonstrate a reliable, functional relationship between the intervention and desired behavioral change.
For this Assignment, you will analyze each of the seven dimensions of applied behavior analysis and provide examples of how each applies to the practice of behavior analysis.
Baer, D. M., Wolf, M. M., & Risley, T. R. (1968). Some current dimensions of applied behavior analysis. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 1(1), 91–97.
- Review the Learning Resources for this week, particularly those describing the dimensions of applied behavior analysis proposed by Baer, Wolf, and Risley.
- Consider how you think each dimension might apply to the practice of behavior analysis.
- Review the interactive media in the Learning Resources, “Dimensions of Applied Behavior Analysis.”
Assignment (1–2 pages)
Explain what Baer, Wolf, and Risley meant when they said each of the following criteria must be present for applied behavior analysis to be considered a science. Give an example of how each applies to the practice of behavior analysis.
- conceptually systematic
- capable of appropriately generalized outcomes
Be sure to support your Assignment with specific references to behavior-analytic theory and research. In addition to the Learning Resources, search the Walden Library and/or the internet for peer-reviewed articles to support your Assignment. Use proper APA format and citations, including those in the Learning Resources Assignment: Dimensions of Applied Behavior Analysis.
By Day 7 of Week 5
Submit your Assignment.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK5Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click on the Week 5 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click on the Week 5 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK5Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click on Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission Assignment: Dimensions of Applied Behavior Analysis.