Benchmark – Epidemiologic Profile Assignment
An epidemiologic profile is a summary of a significant public health issue, or issues, in your community, county, state, or country. An epidemiological profile helps to coordinate activities and policies from various agencies and organizations to improve health.
Review the available data, reports, and documents for your locale. Assess how the methods of epidemiology (study designs, data collection, measures of association, etc.) are used to determine who needs what services, where the services are needed, and how those services should be delivered. Define your community as your city, metropolitan area, or county and write a 2,000-2,250 word epidemiological profile (word limit excludes references and title page).The profile can be a general profile that provides a landscape picture of several significant chronic and infectious diseases in your defined community, or it can be a specific profile that targets one health issue, such as diabetes, asthma, STDs, flu, heart disease, obesity, alcohol abuse, or other drug use. Include the following: Benchmark – Epidemiologic Profile Assignment.
- Describe the purpose of the epidemiologic profile and the health issue(s) it addresses. Discuss its importance to the community and how it will be utilized.
- Summarize the key findings from your review of available data, reports, and documents for the community.
- Describe the defined community and population using demographic and socio-economic information and data.
- Briefly describe the history and cultural background of the community.
- Explain any unique contextual information that pertains to the public health of the defined community.
- Describe any key public health projects, grants, or existing epidemiology-related working groups or committees in the community/county. Benchmark – Epidemiologic Profile Assignment
Description of Available Data
Identify at least two different data sources relevant to your profile. Discuss data from these sources and their relation to the issue or community.
Discuss the methods used in the data collection process (data source and organization providing the data; how often the data are collected; data limitations including response rates, missing data, selection of participants, etc.). Potential data sources and databases might include the following depending on what is available for your community or county: Benchmark – Epidemiologic Profile Assignment
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS) data
- Youth risk behavioral survey
- Surveillance, epidemiology, and end results (SEER) program data
- CDC Wonder (multiple data sources)
- County health rankings data (multiple data sources)
- Alcohol-related disease impact data
- Demographic health survey data (international)
- Global school-based student health survey (international)
- Local evaluation reports from the department/ministry of health or other nonprofit organizations
Interpretation of Results Regarding Key Health Issue
- Size and magnitude of the measures
- Trends and comparisons
- Economic costs
Discussion of Problems and Strategies
- Discuss disparities, limitations, and gaps in the information available regarding the health issue(s).
- Describe potential public health strategies to address these gaps.
- Use graphs and tables where appropriate. Benchmark – Epidemiologic Profile Assignment
You are required to cite to at least five sources to complete this assignment. Sources should be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and public health content.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion. Benchmark – Epidemiologic Profile Assignment
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite. Refer to the LopesWrite Technical Support articles for assistance.
This benchmark assignment assesses the following programmatic competency:
2.1 Apply epidemiological methods to the breadth of settings and situations in public health practice.
MSN Public Health Nursing
6.2 Apply epidemiological methods to the breadth of settings and situations in public health practice. Benchmark – Epidemiologic Profile Assignment