Existential-Humanistic Therapy Essay Assignments
“It is the client who knows what hurts, what directions to go, what problems are crucial, what experiences have been deeply buried.”
–Carl Rogers, from On Becoming a Person
This client-centered perspective is the cornerstone of existential-humanistic therapy, which requires therapists to “attempt to receive clients with curiosity and openness, endeavor to grasp their subjective world, and believe that clients are the experts on their own experience” (Wheeler, 2014, p. 373). As the psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner, it is important to understand that the effectiveness of this approach is dependent on your relationship with clients, as well as your beliefs on holism and human nature.
This week, as you explore existential-humanistic therapy, you assess clients and consider the appropriateness of various therapeutic approaches. You also develop diagnoses for clients receiving psychotherapy and consider legal and ethical implications of counseling these clients.
Clinical Supervision is an essential component of your development as a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner. It provides an opportunity for professional collaboration as you share experiences with and gain insights from colleagues. For this Clinical Supervision, consider a client whom you do not think is adequately progressing according to expected clinical outcomes.
Existential-Humanistic Therapy Essay Assignments Learning Objectives
- Assess clients presenting for psychotherapy
- Evaluate effectiveness of therapeutic approaches for clients receiving psychotherapy
- Apply existential-humanistic therapy to clients with psychiatric disorders
- Review this week’s media and consider the insights provided.
- Reflect on the clients you are currently counseling at your practicum site.
Note: For this Discussion, you are required to complete your initial post before you will be able to view and respond to your colleagues’ postings. Begin by clicking on the “Post to Discussion Question” link and then select “Create Thread” to complete your initial post. Remember, once you click Submit, you cannot delete or edit your own posts, and cannot post anonymously. Please check your post carefully before clicking Submit!
By Day 3
Post a 3- to 5-minute Kaltura video that addresses the following:
- Describe a client you are counseling whom you do not think is adequately progressing according to expected clinical outcomes.
Note: Do not use the client’s actual name.
- Explain your therapeutic approach with the client, including the perceived effectiveness of your approach.
- Identify any additional information about this client that may potentially impact expected outcomes.
Note: Nurse practitioners must have strong oral communication skills. This Discussion is designed to help you hone these skills. When filming your Kaltura video, be sure to dress and speak in a professional manner.
View a selection of your colleagues’ responses.
By Day 6
Respond to at least two of your colleagues by providing feedback based on an existential-humanistic therapeutic perspective. Support your feedback with evidence-based literature and/or your own experiences with clients.
Note about uploading media: Refer to the Kaltura Media Uploader instructions document, which provides guidance on how to upload media for the Clinical Supervision Discussions.
Existential-Humanistic Therapy Essay Assignments: Practicum – Week 8 Journal Entry
This week, you complete a two-part journal entry.
- Develop diagnoses for clients receiving psychotherapy*
- Evaluate efficacy of existential-humanistic therapy for clients*
- Analyze legal and ethical implications of counseling clients with psychiatric disorders*
- Analyze clinical supervision experiences*
* The Existential-Humanistic Therapy Essay Assignments related to this Learning Objective is introduced this week and submitted in Week 10.
For Part 1, select a client whom you observed or counseled this week (other than the client used for this week’s Discussion). Then, address the following in your Practicum Journal:
- Describe the client and identify any pertinent history or medical information, including prescribed medications.
- Using the DSM-5, explain and justify your diagnosis for this client.
- Explain whether existential-humanistic therapy would be beneficial with this client. Include expected outcomes based on this therapeutic approach.
- Explain any legal and/or ethical implications related to counseling this client.
- Support your approach with evidence-based literature.
For Part 2, reflect on your clinical supervision experiences. Then, address the following in your Practicum Journal:
- How often are you receiving clinical supervision from your preceptor?
- What are the sessions like?
- What is the preceptor bringing to your attention?
- How are you translating these sessions to your clinical practice?
Existential-Humanistic Therapy Essay Assignments Week in Review
- Assessed clients presenting for psychotherapy
- Evaluated the effectiveness of therapeutic approaches for clients receiving psychotherapy
- Applied existential-humanistic therapy to clients with psychiatric disorders
- Developed diagnoses for clients receiving psychotherapy
- Evaluated the efficacy of existential-humanistic therapy for clients
- Analyzed legal and ethical implications of counseling clients with psychiatric disorders
- Analyzed clinical supervision experiences
Existential-Humanistic Therapy Essay Assignments