A term paper is a unique research paper required at the end of a school semester. The focal point of a term paper is to gauge a student’s knowledge of the course. Therefore, a student must understand how to write a term paper that is logical, clearly formatted, well-analyzed, and properly researched.
A regular academic term paper is about a few pages long. There is no size that fits all the length of a term paper. Thus, the length depends on the professor’s instructions. So stick to your instructions. The most common length of a college term paper is 5000 words. If the paper is single-spaced, 12pt font, single column, and 1-inch margin format, it should be 15 pages.
What Is The Difference Between a Research Paper and a Term Paper?
There always has been a cloud of bafflement on the difference between a research paper and a term paper format. But the first difference is the submission time frame. A college term paper, just like its name, has to be submitted at the end of a term. On the other hand, a research paper can take several months or a few years to complete in some situations.
Again, on the time frame, you will be tasked with a research paper right at the beginning of a semester. As for college term papers, you are mostly to be assigned in the middle of the semester.
A college research paper is a bit more intricate.
A research paper has a hypothesis, and when concluding a college research paper, you can agree or disagree. A term paper format is straightforward. Typically, a term paper will try to back existing thesis papers. That is why a research paper has to be longer.
Although a research paper is vital, it has no impact on the final grade, whereas a term paper is crucial to the final grade.
Another difference between a research paper and how to write a term paper is the purpose. A research paper aims to find a suitable solution to an existing problem in a specific field. It aims to solve a real-life problem. A term paper is simply a showcase or display of the understanding or knowledge of a student on a specific topic.
Standard Term Paper Format
As we had mentioned earlier, some specific parts of your term paper, for example, the length, are not universal. It depends on your teacher’s instructions. Thus, the nature of the format of your term paper will depend on your course. For context, how one will format a nursing term is entirely different from a sociology term paper.
Fortunately, there is a standard term paper format. Most term papers will bear the following college term paper formats.
A title page should be separate from the rest of the topics. A term paper title page includes the term paper heading, your name and course name, the name of your professors and the date.
The acknowledgment section consists of
List your topic and describe your subject briefly
Give valid reasons for choosing the selected topic
Provide any other information you deem fit to be in the introduction
Table of Contents
Write on the questions that your term paper will answer and a short overview of the whole paper.
In the literature review section, articulate the research methodologies and the procedure you used to apply them. Give as many details as possible and remember to stay logical, avoid being fluffy, and keep in mind the word limit.
Finish your term paper by giving your conclusions and closing statements. Give your perspective on whether the hypothesis was true or false.
Suggest ideas that future researchers can begin to work on.
Outline all sources used in your research. Ignoring the required term paper format might have your instructor accusing you of plagiarism. The most common citation format is MLA and APA.
MLA Formatting – College Term Paper Format
MLA (Modern Language Association) is among the most common formatting guides. MLA is quite common in humanities and liberal arts. It is crucial to follow the MLA referencing guidelines to the latter. Here are some critical formatting rules in MLA term paper formatting.
- Your term paper should be double-spaced. Ensure there are no extra spaces and single spaces
- You should have a 1-inch margin on both sides of your term paper
- You should use 12 pt Times New Roman font
- Align all the text to the left
- Indent all your paragraphs to the right. Each indentation should be at least ½ inch.
- The title should be centered and appear under the heading details. Do not underline or bold titles whatsoever.
- Add your last name and page number to the right top corner of each page.
APA Formatting- College Term Paper Format
The APA (American Psychological Association) term paper format is widely used in social sciences. Here is a brief guide on how to reference your term paper in APA
- Your paragraphs should be indented ½ inch.
- Create a first-page header that contains the page number and a capitalized running head
- Set 1” margins on all sides of your term paper
- Double-space your term paper throughout
- Use 12pt Times New Roman font
- Your paper should be in A4 white paper with dimensions of 8.5”x 11”
How to Write a Term Paper Proposal
Before writing the actual term paper, you need to know how to write a term paper proposal. You must defend your term paper proposal before writing the actual term paper. Therefore, the term paper proposal should be written and submitted for approval.
In your academic term paper, use the most recent studies and research. The referencing rules also apply. The description should be clear so your professor can understand what you plan to talk about.
In most cases, your instructor will provide a term paper proposal template, and if they don’t, here is a format to help you out.
This is simply the draft title of what you plan to research. It should be clear and easily understandable.
Each term paper has objectives. Outline the outcome of your research
Relevance and Importance
Why is your term paper title crucial? Include the latest news, articles, events, and even blogs that show your selected topic is vital. Your information should be credible and grab the reader’s attention.
How to Write a Term Paper Outline
Before you get down to how to write a term paper, you need to have a plan. Your term paper outlines your direction as you maneuver the writing process. You will get to draft all the points discussed in your writing process.
Writing a term paper is a lengthy process, and you will need help to stay focused and stick to the critical points of your paper. In some cases, the instructor might ask you for a term paper outline before you begin writing. The instructor will do this mainly because they want to know where you are headed with your term paper and help you improve the areas that need improvement.
Sometimes, you might bump across a point midway through your nursing term paper, and an outline will guide you towards correctly inputting your idea. You can revise, structure, and restructure your points until you find your desired term paper format.
A term paper needs careful and logical restructuring. Before you write any paragraph, think it through clearly if it is where it is supposed to be. Think about your main topic and how you will use the key points to support your arguments. Subdivide the key points and list the relevant data and other material that you will use to back your points. These listed points will be your headings and subheadings.
Here is a guide on how to write a term paper outline.
This is your initial part, and it should introduce the reader to the issue at hand and give your perspective on the issues or state your thesis.
This is the meat of your term paper. You should divide your body into several headings and subheadings depending on the different ideas of the topic you want to put across.
Here is a quick tip
H1: A brief history of the issue
H2: How far has been the issue at hand been handled
H3: The outcome of the issue being explored
H4: Possible solutions
A summary of the points discussed and your perspective on the thesis statement.
How to Write a Term Paper
At this point, you have everything you need at your disposal to nail a term paper. Here is a step-by-step process with no steps skipped on how to write a term paper that will earn you that A.
Create a Title Page
This is quite simple. Although in some instances, a title page might not be required. The title page always depends on the required styles. A title page should inspire you to write text. On your title page, include your topic, the name of your school, and other relevant races. This will make it easier to start writing the main text.
Structure of Your Content
With the help of your pre-written term paper outline, you have enough information to create your term paper. Use the listed headings and subheadings as a guide to writing the text. You can also be creative and formulate other headings to improve the readability and distribute the data evenly in all sections. You don’t want to overload some sections and leave other sections with less content.
Write Your Introduction
The introduction to your term paper is an essential part. You need to input maximum effort whenever you are writing your introduction. To make things easier on how to write a term paper, outline the objective and goals of your academic term paper.
Note down the main reason why you opted for the term paper topic or why your term paper topic is relevant to your field of study. Also, write about the methods you use in your research. Feel free to be creative as possible and make your introduction as attractive as possible. When the introduction is easier, how to write a term paper also becomes easier.
Write Your Body
This is the central part of how to write a term paper. The body section is lengthy, determining how well you will score in your term paper. In the body, you list headlines and discuss them further in paragraphs whilst expanding on the topic and summarizing the information. Ensure your paragraphs and ideas flow smoothly and coherently. Sections that lack logical flow ideas will ultimately hurt your final grade.
Include other features such as graphs, tables, calculations, and drawings to articulate your points. Such features will help the reader understand your arguments better. Charts and other figures will also make your instructor perceive you as a serious student. These features signify that you put in maximum effort to produce a high-quality academic term paper.
The term paper conclusion should be straightforward since you do not need any new information. Refer back to the introduction and answer the question or the thesis statement, summarize your key point, and reiterate the importance of your term paper to your relevant field.
Depending on the formatting style you are using, list all the sources. The section contains all the references as used in your text. List all the textbooks, journals, blogs, and other sources if you have used them.
Proofread Your Paper
Finally, proofread your paper. Although proofreading might sound cumbersome, you must proofread your paper to remove errors. If you’re having difficulty proofreading your entire paper, you can hire proofreading experts to do it for you at a fee. You don’t want to score poor grades on your term paper because you were too lazy to proofread your paper.
Tips on How to Write a Term Paper
Learning how to write a term paper that will earn you that A+ is an art. It requires more than sitting down on your computer and typing bunches of text on a blank page. Luckily, some tips can help you write an A+ academic term paper. These tips will help you to avoid stress and sleepless nights.
Write a Catchy Introduction
Input maximum efforts to write your introduction. You should be able to grab the reader’s attention by the eyeball with the first few words. If you get it right from the beginning, you are guaranteed top grades. You should think of perfect words, facts, and questions that will immediately grab the reader’s attention and spark their curiosity to read more.
Use an Original and Unique Topic
The rule of the thumb on how to write a term paper is to use an interesting topic. Look into those topics that are unique and have enough research available. Explore all your creativity and formulate an exciting term paper heading.
Ask your classmates about the topics they have written and try to be as unique as possible. If you find that your classmates have a similar topic, try to change it. You might be surprised by interesting topics you will stumble upon.
Use Relevant Information on Topic
After selecting the topic, the next thing on how to write a term paper is to get down to finding relevant information right away; otherwise, you might have less time for doing research. Use the library, internet sources, textbooks and sources, and other textbooks. In backing up your sources, make sure you use only relevant sources. Avoid irrelevant details that do not add value to your term paper.
Stick to The Outline
A term paper outline is your key to success. It will help you navigate the entire writing process, so spend enough time writing your term paper outline. A detailed term paper outline will come in handy for writing a logical and systematic term paper.
With a term paper outline, you are less likely to forget any crucial point you have noted down if you have no idea how to write a term paper outline. Use our term paper outline guide.
Write The Abstract
The abstract is similar to the trailer of a movie. You should have a short abstract for your term paper. An abstract is essential since it tells the reader more about what you will discuss in your paper.
Write a Powerful Body Section
Your body section also requires maximum effort. Focus on the fundamental ideas of your academic term paper and give supporting arguments on each key concept. The number of paragraphs is relative to the subject and the instructions from your professors.
So be keen to read and understand the instructions. Always introduce your key point well and make your position clear by using clear arguments.
Summarize Your Term Paper
The final part on how to write a term paper is a summary—also known as the conclusion section. Do not add any new information but instead summarize the ideas you mentioned before. The main function of a summary or conclusion section is to give the reader thoughts on your term paper. Make the readers’ time worthwhile.
Edit and Proofread
Take some time off your term paper and come back and reread it. Come back and check out grammar and spelling mistakes, among other things. Tweak and twist until you achieve the perfect academic term paper.
Sometimes you might not notice mistakes after writing a paper, so it is ideal to delegate it to someone else. A new set of eyes will be better positioned to detect any flaws in your term paper.
Term Paper Headings
Your professor will usually provide term paper topics; however, you can choose your topic in some cases. You can find research paper topics in the news, magazines, blogs, and articles. Now that you have learned how to write a term paper, here are a few academic term paper topics.
Education Term Paper Headings
- Integration of disabled students vs. special classroom setting for their specialized needs
- Teachers’ requirements/needs in comparison to teaching as a service profession
- Exams regularly serve little purpose other than to assess a person’s ability to take exams. Should exams be abolished in favor of another method of evaluation?
- No government support vs fairness to parents who pay twice for education
- Discrimination in education
- Fewer than 10% of students earn “As” in some European schools. Is there grade inflation in the United States of America? Why do Americans have so many “As”?
- Compared to course requirements alone, standardized tests are required for advancement.
- School’s responsibility vs. parental responsibility for school violence
- Permit corporal punishment
- What’s the difference between multilingual/multicultural and basic education?
- Policing schools
- Is the No Child Left Behind Act effective?
- Teacher competency tests vs degree requirements only
- Should American teenagers adopt the British practice of taking a year off between high school and college?
- Placement by age vs placement by academic ability
- Education and funding
- Intimidation of violence vs. toughness with adaptability
- Standardized tests
- Grade inflation
- Nationally standardized assessments versus local management of educational resources
- Church-state separation vs. religion’s contribution to the common good
- Drug and alcohol abuse, pregnancy, suicide
Environmental Term Paper Headings
- How to stop wasting paper and save trees?
- Should there be more films about environmental concerns created?
- How to expound on the appropriate adaptation of hurricane-prone structures?
- Is nuclear power safe for humans?
- Is it possible to predict hurricane impacts?
- What are the most effective strategies for mitigating global warming?
- Earthquake effects on the underground
- Can overpopulation be managed?
- How dangerous is GMO food?
- Human impacts on forests
College Term Paper Headings
- IELTS Vs. TOEFL.
- Colleges should have education consultants to help the students.
- The flawed education system of the United States
- Distance learning and its usefulness.
- Can an average person become a politician, and how?
- Importance of getting a degree in professional life.
- College dropouts are more likely to become billionaires. Do you agree?
- How should students plan for college tuition?
- Children should choose those subjects that interest them. Agreed?
- How does substance abuse affect the performance of college students?
- The College curriculum should include specific classes for boys and girls.
- How to be successful in life?
- Emerging graduate programs.
- 4-year college degree vs. 2-year degree.
- Physical punishments and their impact on children.
Environment Term Paper Headings
- How have preceding oil spills influenced regulatory policies and cleanup procedures?
- Conduct a detailed analysis of global deforestation levels over time.
- What impacts has climate change had on coral reefs?
- How can we increase global access to safe drinking water?
- Why has the number of natural disasters increased in the past few decades?
- Impacts of the Paris Climate Agreement on the environment
- Should advanced economies increase their nuclear energy reliance?
- How are black holes created?
- What can be done to save amphibian species that are currently threatened with extinction?
- How catastrophic has Earth’s climate change been over the last several years?
Social Media Term Paper Headings
- How to prevent cyber-bullying?
- What approaches are useful for identifying pedophiles on social media?
- Can LinkedIn help people find jobs or further education?
- What are some techniques to identify pedophiles on social media?
- How bad is social media addiction?
- How to protect children online?
- How do I unplug from social media?
- Why are increasing numbers of adolescent generations obsessed with likes and comments?
- Who are the world’s most popular online marketers?
- Why do people want to post everything online?
Term Paper Headings Ideas on Culture
- A new comprehension of past events
- How do pop culture trends influence youth?
- Why was Greek cultural influence so important for the ancient Mediterranean world?
- Why was the Victorian period a time of cultural change?
- Should pregnant celebrities be exposed on magazine covers?
- The effects of advertisements and commercials on modern art
- The roots of antisemitism
- The origin of racial discrimination
- The most remarkable cultural achievements of the 20th century and their influence on our society
- Cultural revolutions throughout history
Business Term Paper Headings
- Propose some profitable small business ideas.
- Should the minimum wage rate be increased?
- Pros and cons of online retail.
- How do different marketing techniques boost business?
- Role of government organizations in white-collar crimes.
- How has cyber-security emerged as a new business endeavor?
- Trending business ideas.
- Describe the different types of business models and ways to implement them successfully.
- Is e-business more profitable than traditional business?
- Should successful businessmen be helping new people in the market?
- Owning a business is the only way to total financial security. Agreed?
- The relation of demand in supply in the market.
- What are the main causes behind the rise of entrepreneurial culture?
- How do the political instabilities of the country influence businesses?
- Do you think small business retailers compromise on business ethics?
Learning how to write a term paper is a lengthy process so Make sure to conduct thorough research before beginning to write. You don’t want to jump on one term paper topic and realize that you don’t have enough data to complete your term paper.
Start with research, then craft a term paper outline before you begin writing your term paper. This will aid in you writing a properly structured academic term paper. Do you feel stuck on your term paper? Our academic term paper experts are here to help you. Contact us now.