NURS 6052 wk 5 Assignment: EBP, Part 3: Advanced Levels of Clinical Inquiry and Systematic Reviews
Assignment: Evidence-Based Project, Part 3: Advanced Levels of Clinical Inquiry and Systematic Reviews
Your quest to purchase a new car begins with an identification of the factors important to you. As you conduct a search of cars that rate high on those factors, you collect evidence and try to understand the extent of that evidence. A report that suggests a certain make and model of automobile has high mileage is encouraging. But who produced that report? How valid is it? How was the data collected, and what was the sample size?
In this Assignment, you will delve deeper into clinical inquiry by closely examining your PICO(T) question. You also begin to analyze the evidence you have collected.
• Review the Resources and identify a clinical issue of interest that can form the basis of a clinical inquiry.
• Develop a PICO(T) question to address the clinical issue of interest for the Assignment.
• Use the key words from the PICO(T) question you developed and search at least four different databases in the Walden Library. Identify at least four relevant systematic reviews or other filtered high-level evidence, which includes meta-analyses, critically-appraised topics (evidence syntheses), critically-appraised individual articles (article synopses). The evidence will not necessarily address all the elements of your PICO(T) question, so select the most important concepts to search and find the best evidence available. NURS 6052 wk 5 Assignment: EBP, Part 3: Advanced Levels of Clinical Inquiry and Systematic Reviews
• Reflect on the process of creating a PICO(T) question and searching for peer-reviewed research.
The Assignment (Evidence-Based Project)
Part 3: Advanced Levels of Clinical Inquiry and Systematic Reviews
Create a 6- to 7-slide PowerPoint presentation in which you do the following:
• Identify and briefly describe your chosen clinical issue of interest.
• Describe how you developed a PICO(T) question focused on your chosen clinical issue of interest.
• Identify the four research databases that you used to conduct your search for the peer-reviewed articles you selected.
• Provide APA citations of the four peer-reviewed articles you selected.
• Describe the levels of evidence in each of the four peer-reviewed articles you selected, including an explanation of the strengths of using systematic reviews for clinical research. Be specific and provide examples.
To begin my research, I located the Walden library database and selected nursing in the subject resource. Under the nursing databases the one that caught my attention the most is CINAHL plus with full text, this database has a large collection of journals on many nursing topics. Under the CINAHL plus full text search engine, I typed in keywords hand hygiene and infection control. It took me almost two hours to complete the search because I had to try searching with different new keywords that describe my topic. I was able to get some literature after breaking the topic into keywords. I had the challenge of finding literature below five years, but with the help of the data slider, I was able to narrow my result to just a few journals. I noticed that finding scholarly articles may not be as easy as I had thought. Searching the Walden Library data base has increased my searching techniques. I am now confidence in conducting a literature research using the library resources. NURS 6052 wk 5 Assignment: EBP, Part 3: Advanced Levels of Clinical Inquiry and Systematic Reviews
My initial search resulted in 220 articles. With such a large result, I found it difficult to select articles that support my PICO question. To narrow my search further, I typed in the search engine handwashing, this narrowed my search to 20 articles. I was then able to choose 5 articles that support my PICO question which is “How does handwashing among nursing staff reduce hospital acquired infections (HAIs) in healthcare setting?”
Below is a breakdown of my PICO question:
P- stands for the target population which in this case is either the patient or the problem HAIs.
I-is the intervention used to solved the clinical issues that needs change, in my PICO question, the intervention is handwashing.
C-represent comparison. In my case I compare handwashing to other hand hygiene methods such as Alcohol hand rub.
O-is simply the outcome which is ultimately the reduction of HAIs NURS 6052 wk 5 Assignment: EBP, Part 3: Advanced Levels of Clinical Inquiry and Systematic Reviews
CINAHL plus full text has features that allows you to select full text, find article by publication dates and peer reviewed journals.
Another database that I found helpful in this research is the PubMed database, this database has more that 30 million citation from biomedical literature some of which are from MEDLINE and others are from life science journals. Under the PubMed database I selected journals that most address my PICO question.
The Boolean Operator and Nest search engine enabled me to combine words and phrases which resulted in more specific research result.
Below are four peer reviewed journal to support my PICO question
Ford, C., & Park, L. J. (2018). Hand hygiene and handwashing: key to preventing the transfer of pathogens. British Journal of Nursing, 27(20), 1164–1166. https://doi-org.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/10.12968/bjon.2018.27.20.1164
Hovi, T., Ollgren, J., & Savolainen-Kopra, C. (2017). Intensified hand-hygiene campaign including soap-and-water wash may prevent acute infections in office workers, as shown by a recognized-exposure -adjusted analysis of a randomized trial. BMC Infectious Diseases, 17, 1–9. https://doi-org.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/10.1186/s12879-016-2157-z NURS 6052 wk 5 Assignment: EBP, Part 3: Advanced Levels of Clinical Inquiry and Systematic Reviews
Kingston, L. M., O, C. N. H., & Dunne, C. P. (2018). A comparative study of hand hygiene and alcohol-based hand rub use among Irish nursing and medical students. Nurse Education Today, 63, 112–118. https://doi-org.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2018.01.022
Halm, M., & Sandau, K. (2018). Skin Impact of Alcohol-Based Hand Rubs Vs Handwashing. American Journal of Critical Care, 27(4), 334–337. https://doi-org.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/10.4037/ajcc2018727
Below are the research databases I used to conduct my research
Walden University Library. (n.d.-b). Evidence -based practice research: CINAHL Search help.
Retrieved September 6, 2019, from
https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/library/healthevidence/medlinesearchhelp NURS 6052 wk 5 Assignment: EBP, Part 3: Advanced Levels of Clinical Inquiry and Systematic Reviews
Library of Congress. (n.d.). Search /browse help-Boolean Operators and nesting
Retrieved September 19, 2018, from,
Walden Library. (n.d.) PubMed: Getting Started. Retrieved September 19, 2019 from,https://www-ncbi-nlm-nih-gov.ezp.waldenulibrary.org/pubmed/?otool=mnwullib NURS 6052 wk 5 Assignment: EBP, Part 3: Advanced Levels of Clinical Inquiry and Systematic Reviews