Nurs 6521 Pharmacotherapy for Gastrointestinal and Hepatobiliary Disorders Essay Discussion Assignment paper
Gastrointestinal (GI) and hepatobiliary disorders affect the structure and function of the GI tract. Many of these disorders often have similar symptoms such as abdominal pain, cramping, constipation, nausea, bloating, and fatigue. Since multiple disorders can be tied to the same symptoms, it is important for advanced practice nurses to carefully evaluate patients and prescribe treatment that targets the cause rather than the symptom. Once the underlying cause is identified, an appropriate drug therapy plan can be recommended based on medical history and individual patient factors. In this Discussion, you examine a case study of a patient who presents with symptoms of a possible GI/hepatobiliary disorder, and you design an appropriate drug therapy plan.
Consider the following case study:
Patient HL comes into the clinic with the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. The patient has a history of drug abuse and possible Hepatitis C. HL is currently taking the following prescription drugs: Nurs 6521 Pharmacotherapy for Gastrointestinal and Hepatobiliary Disorders Essay Discussion Assignment paper.
Synthroid 100 mcg daily
Nifedipine 30 mg daily
Prednisone 10 mg daily
· Review this week’s media presentation on pharmacology for the gastrointestinal system.
· Review the provided case study. Reflect on the patient’s symptoms, medical history, and drugs currently prescribed.
· Think about a possible diagnosis for the patient. Consider whether the patient has a disorder related to the gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary system or whether the symptoms are the result of a disorder from another system or other factors such as pregnancy, drugs, or a psychological disorder.
· Consider an appropriate drug therapy plan based on the patient’s history, diagnosis, and drugs currently prescribed.
Post 1 page page APA format
an explanation of your diagnosis for the patient including your rationale for the diagnosis. Nurs 6521 Pharmacotherapy for Gastrointestinal and Hepatobiliary Disorders Essay Discussion Assignment paper.
Then, describe an appropriate drug therapy plan based on the patient’s history, diagnosis, and drugs currently prescribed. (Note this is a pharmacology class make sure medicine is appropriate and will work with pt’s current med list)
· Arcangelo, V. P., & Peterson, A. M. (Eds.). (2013). Pharmacotherapeutics for advanced practice: A practical approach (3rd ed.). Ambler, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
o Chapter 28, “Nausea and Vomiting” (pp. 392–409)
This chapter focuses on the etiology of nausea and vomiting, as well as body systems that impact or trigger nausea and vomiting. It also covers various drugs used to treat nausea and vomiting including the process of selecting, administering, and managing drug therapy for patients.
o Chapter 29, “Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease and Peptic Ulcer Disease” (pp. 410–423)
This chapter begins with an overview of risk factors, symptoms, and clinical stages of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). It then examines drugs used to treat GERD and peptic ulcer disease (PUD), including proper dosages, possible adverse reactions, contraindications, and special considerations. Nurs 6521 Pharmacotherapy for Gastrointestinal and Hepatobiliary Disorders Essay Discussion Assignment paper.
o Chapter 30, “Constipation, Diarrhea, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome” (pp. 424–453)
This chapter begins by exploring disorders associated with constipation and diarrhea, as well as drugs used in treatment. It also covers the pathophysiology of irritable bowel syndrome and related drug therapies.
o Chapter 31, “Inflammatory Bowel Disease” (pp. 454–471)
This chapter examines the causes, pathophysiology, and diagnostic criteria of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative colitis. It also identifies drugs used to treat IBD, including proper dosage, adverse reactions, and special considerations.
· Starr, S., & Raines, D. (2011). Cirrhosis: Diagnosis, management, and prevention. American Family Physician, 84(12), 1353–1359.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases. Nurs 6521 Pharmacotherapy for Gastrointestinal and Hepatobiliary Disorders Essay Discussion Assignment paper.
This article examines the clinical presentation, pathophysiology, diagnosis, management, and prevention of cirrhosis. It also provides methods for managing complications of cirrhosis.
· Drugs.com. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.drugs.com/
This website presents a comprehensive review of prescription and over-the-counter drugs including information on common uses and potential side effects. It also provides updates relating to new drugs on the market, support from health professionals, and a drug-drug interactions checker. .