Nursing Capstone proposal Example – Chronic pain management essay
Nurses’ perception and attitude towards pain management: Chronic Pain
Chronic pain management is a critical component of the fundamental patient rights and nursing care in general. Untreated causes adverse impacts on the patient which in turn cripples the treatment efforts and responses, triggers hopelessness and affects the quality of life (Samarkandi, 2018). Pain is also stressing to the patient and therefore, assessment and management is necessary to improve their health condition. The main barriers to chronic pain management include negative attitudes and nurses’ perceptions. Some of the nurses perceive the patients report as attention-seeking rather than the reality which results in addiction to opioids (Krokmyrdal & Andenæs, 2015). Misconceptions and negative attitudes increase the suffering of the patient and hence, effective interventions are necessary to ensure that the…
capstone proposal instructions
your proposed problem description for your EBP project, should address the following:
My capstone proposal would be on
Nurses perception and attitude towards pain management
1. Describe the background of the problem. Tell the story of the issue and why it deserves attention.
2. Identify the stakeholders/change agents. Who, or what organizations, are concerned, may benefit from, or are affected by this proposal. List the interested parties, patients, students, agencies, Joint Commission, etc.
3. Use the feedback from the Topic 2 main forum post and refine your PICOT question. Make sure that the question fits with your graduate degree specialization. Nursing Capstone proposal Example – Chronic pain management essay
4. State the purpose and project objectives in specific, realistic, and measurable terms. The objective should address what is to be gained. This is a restatement of the question, providing focus. Measurements need to be taken before and after the evidence‐based practice is introduced to identify the expected changes.
5. 5) Provide supportive rationale that the problem or issue is an important one for nursing to resolve using relevant professional literature sources.
6. Develop an initial reference list to assure that there is adequate literature to support your evidence‐based practice project. Follow the \”Steps to an Efficient Search to Answer a Clinical Question\” box in chapter 3 of the textbook. Use \”NUR‐699 Search Method Example\” to assist you. Nursing Capstone proposal Example – Chronic pain management essay
7. 7) The majority of references should be research articles. However, national sources such as Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), Department of Health and Human Resources (HHS), or the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) and others may be used when you are gathering statistics to provide the rationale for the problem.
8. Once you get into the literature, you may find there is very little research to support your topic and you will have to start all over again. Remember, in order for this to be an evidence‐based project, you must have enough evidence to introduce this as a practice change. If you find that you do not have enough supporting evidence to change a practice, then further research would need to be conducted.
Nurses’ perception and attitude towards pain management: Chronic Pain
Chronic pain management is critical component of the fundamental patient rights and nursing care in general. Untreated causes adverse impacts on the patient which in turn cripples the treatment efforts and responses, triggers hopelessness and affects the quality of life (Samarkandi, 2018). Pain is also stressing to the patient and therefore, assessment and management is necessary to improve their health condition. The main barriers to chronic pain management include negative attitudes and nurses’ perceptions. Some of the nurses’ perceive the patients report as attention seeking rather than reality which results in addiction to opioids (Krokmyrdal & Andenæs, 2015). Misconceptions and negative attitudes increase the suffering of the patient and hence, effective interventions are necessary to ensure that the issue is addressed to minimize the provider-related barriers. A significant improvement of the attitudes and perceptions towards the patient is essential in improving chronic pain management practices. Nursing Capstone proposal Example – Chronic pain management essay
Nurses of the pain management unit are the key stakeholders in implementing changes. A modification of attitudes towards their job, their patients and change of perceptions will prevent ignorance and improve the quality of the patient’s life through timely care (Shaw et al., 2010). Patients in the pain management unit will play notable roles in initiating changes in the healthcare setting. Their reporting of real pain and not seeking attention from the nurses when the pain is manageable will help prevent addiction. They can also use the interventions independently and in collaboration with the nurses to prevent overreliance on the practitioners. It will also help nurses identify genuine chronic pain incidences and attend to them promptly. Students are also essential stakeholders. They learn to attend to patients and build the right attitudes towards patients to allow effective and quality care delivery during practice. Consequently, the Joint commission is a stakeholder providing accreditation roles to promote healthcare quality and safety (Dennis, n.d). It ensures improved performance of the nurses and the organizations and hence, provides guidelines and standards of practice in the pain management units. Nursing Capstone proposal Example – Chronic pain management essay
Does improving nurses’ perception and attitude towards chronic pain management promote the recovery of the patients during the duration of hospitalization? This question addresses the nursing population working in the pain management unit and the chronic pain patients. The problem addressed by the question is chronic pain management. The intervention is improving perceptions and attitudes of the nurses while the comparison is done with negative attitudes and perceptions. The expected outcome for the research is increased patient recovery and time covers the hospitalization period.
Purpose and Objectives
The purpose of the evidence based research is to determine the effectiveness of attitude and perception change in the pain management unit. The study will investigate the attitudes and perceptions of the healthcare providers, assess the weaknesses and strengths of the nurses in managing pain and consequently inform scholars on the ways of modifying the nursing courses to improve pain management. This follows the increased number of stresses and suffering experienced in the chronic pain management units. The heightening number of opioids addiction among the emergency room patients also triggered the need for this research with the intention of informing the nurses on the best evidence based approaches towards managing pain. Nursing Capstone proposal Example – Chronic pain management essay
The main objective of the research is to identify the impact of positive attitudes on pain management. This will involve the assessment and exploration of attitudes and perceptions of nurses towards pain management and the patient responses towards positive and negative provider attitudes. Overall, the project seeks to improve chronic pain management in hospitalized patients through interventions that improve the patient and nurse experiences. Nursing Capstone proposal Example – Chronic pain management essay
The project is significant in that it assists in the resolution of chronic pain management problems in the hospital setting. Chronic pain lasts for at least 3 months and presents with aching or burning sensations and can be either dull or sharp depending on the cause. Underlying health disorders are likely causes of chronic pain. Cancer is one of the major causes of chronic pain that demands continuous management. According to Ung, Salamonson, Hu and Gallego (2016), $560 billion is used in the chronic pain economy resulting from diabetes, heart disease and cancer in the US every year. With the increase in pain inflicting illnesses in the contemporary society, management has imposed a notable emotional, personal, economic and social burden thus necessitating the active engagement of nurses in evidence-based practice to improve the patient’s quality of life.
Considering the increased need for pain management, exploration of the nurse’s attitudes and perceptions is necessary in resolving the chronic pain problem. In this case, the use of relevant professional literature sources in this research is essential in obtaining the evidence-based approaches towards resolving the problem. As such, previous studies on the nurse attitudes and perceptions and their effects in the provision of healthcare are relevant for the research. other important information include the role of stakeholders, the effective interventions relating to modification of attitudes, the impacts of negative attitudes and perceptions and the results on patient recovery from the previous literature studies. Therefore, the project is important in improving the management of chronic pain in hospitalized patients. Nursing Capstone proposal Example – Chronic pain management essay
Dennis S. O. The Role of the Joint Commission in Health Care Quality. Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Retrieved from http://www.ehcca.com/presentations/qualitycolloquium4/oleary_2.pdf on August 27,2019
Krokmyrdal, K. A., & Andenæs, R. (2015). Nurses’ competence in pain management in patients with opioid addiction: A cross-sectional survey study. Nurse education today, 35(6), 789-794.
Samarkandi O. A. (2018). Knowledge and attitudes of nurses toward pain management. Saudi journal of anaesthesia, 12(2), 220–226. doi:10.4103/sja.SJA_587_17
Shaw, T. J., Pernar, L. I., Peyre, S. E., Helfrick, J. F., Vogelgesang, K. R., Graydon-Baker, E., … & Gandhi, T. (2012). Impact of online education on intern behaviour around joint commission national patient safety goals: a randomised trial. BMJ Qual Saf, 21(10), 819-825. Nursing Capstone proposal Example – Chronic pain management essay
Ung, A., Salamonson, Y., Hu, W., & Gallego, G. (2016). Assessing knowledge, perceptions and attitudes to pain management among medical and nursing students: a review of the literature. British journal of pain, 10(1), 8–21. doi:10.1177/2049463715583142 Nursing Capstone proposal Example – Chronic pain management essay