PSYC305 – Cross-Cultural Realities at Work (individual interview report) Essay Assignment Papers
Week 7: Individual Assignment: Interview Report
In this individual assignment, you are required to interview someone who is different from you (see criteria below) so that you may learn from the interviewee and be able to adequately reflect on the questions for analysis as given below. Please make yourself aware of questions for interview and for analysis before conducting the interview.
This interview is designed for students who are learning about diversity.
Find someone who meets all three criteria:
- at least 7 years older or younger than you are;
- doing work that you may not imagine yourself doing; and
- culturally distinctly different from you.
Conducting the Interview
Your goal is to get the person talking. Listen for what is said, what is implied, and what is not said. Try not to insert your opinions and experience. Use the sample interview questions as below; please feel free to add your own. PSYC305 – Cross-Cultural Realities at Work (individual interview report) Essay Assignment Papers
Start the interview by explaining who you are and why you are interviewing him or her. Thank the person sincerely for giving you his or her time and thoughts. Be sensitive throughout the interview regarding whether the person wants to continue.
Sample Interview Questions
Start with questions that are easy and comfortable to answer.
- What kind of work do you do?
- How long have you been doing it? PSYC305 – Cross-Cultural Realities at Work (individual interview report) Essay Assignment Papers
- Can you describe a typical workday?
Then move to questions that require more thought and rapport with the interviewer.
- Why did you end up doing this work? What kind of person often does this sort of work? (And would you consider yourself typical?)
- What do you like about this work?
- What is difficult about this work?
- How do [customers, others in the company, etc.] treat you? What do they think about the job you do? [Adapt this question to fit your particular interview—try to get at how the person thinks he or she is treated based on his or her work.]
- How does being a [fill in the blank with a salient cultural category: man, older person, African-American, 20-something, etc.] play into the work you do?
- Has this work changed the way you think about yourself and about the world?
- What are some cultural values that are important to you? [It can be family, work, or interpersonal.] Do you think these are similar to or different from mainstream American culture? Please explain your ideas. PSYC305 – Cross-Cultural Realities at Work (individual interview report) Essay Assignment Papers
- What do you like best about American culture? What do you like least? [Even if the person is American, he or she will have an opinion about this question that gives you some insight about how he or she views things from his or her perspective.] PSYC305 – Cross-Cultural Realities at Work (individual interview report) Essay Assignment Papers
Thank him or her again.
Analysis of Your Interview and Writing Your Report
Think about your interview, the person, and his or her work. Please consider these questions as you write your report for this assignment. Make sure to present a well thought response based on your interview and these questions.
- First, state who the interviewee is and how does he or she meet the three criteria (all three should be met).
- What aspects of this person’s work determine or indicate his or her status relative to others?
- What are some of the connections between this person’s work experience and gender, race, age, and/or ethnicity, etc.? PSYC305 – Cross-Cultural Realities at Work (individual interview report) Essay Assignment Papers
- What kinds of attitudes, values, and behaviors does this person’s work culture encourage?
- What attitudes and values held by this person are similar to your own, and which are different?
- From this interview, what can give us insight into communicating across cultures or across work cultures?
Don’t forget to submit your assignment.
Rubric (professor has the discretion to award points as deemed reasonable)
- Complete, well thought-out responses to the questions posed for analysis of interview, arguments and support well-presented, no significant errors. All criteria met for choice of interviewee – 40/40
- Good, but only one question or part is not reflective, substantive, complete, or clear enough. All criteria met for choice of interviewee – 34/40 PSYC305 – Cross-Cultural Realities at Work (individual interview report) Essay Assignment Papers
- Quite good, but a few questions or parts are not reflective, substantive, complete, or clear OR a criteria for choice of interviewee is not met- 26/40
- Limited responses, criteria not met, but interview and analysis are conducted adequately– 18/40
- Poor in every way – 5-10/40
For grammatical and spelling errors, student may lose additional points. PSYC305 – Cross-Cultural Realities at Work (individual interview report) Essay Assignment Papers