Social Determinants Impacting Public Health Essay
Social determinants of health have a significant impact on public health issues. They are the social, economic, and environmental conditions that are not distributed equally among populations. Those living in poverty and unsanitary living conditions are usually more susceptible to disease. Inaccessible healthcare systems and an unstable government without policies to address these disparities also contribute to the burden of disease.
From the assigned readings this week, review the following Web resource:
- World Health Organization (WHO). (2012). Social determinants of health. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/social_determinants/en/
Respond to the following:
- Evaluate the social determinants that may impact current public health issues within the U.S.
- Select a current public health issue in the U.S. and describe the social determinant that impacts the issue.
- Describe existing practices that are in place to improve economic or social determinants. What additional measures can you recommend?
- In your opinion, analyze whether more can be done to address the issue. Include an analysis of whether policy creates interference.
Support your statements with appropriate examples and scholarly references.